Pages

Sunday 18 May 2014

Exams don't matter...

Exams don't matter...BUT they do open doors.

Edited from here

I see so many people nowadays stressing over exams, and I have to admit, I myself am one of those people! To those people I see crying because they feel overwhelmed with revision, I just want to say, exams don't matter...Contrary to popular belief, exams aren't the be all and end all! You're not going to 'fail' at life simply because you didn't quite get the grades you needed! There are so many other ways of getting jobs and gaining life experience that you don't actually require GCSE or A Level grades for! For example, I'm pretty sure that if you showed enough enthusiasm and were determined enough you could get volunteer work for a few weeks / months which could end up leading to a permanent job if you prove yourself to those around you! Internships are another great way of getting experience without any actual qualifications! There are so many other things you can do that don't require exam grades...you could travel and meet some amazing people that completely change the path your life takes! I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all place unnecessary pressure on ourselves when it comes to exams, they sure as hell do help with your path for the future, and yes a certain amount of pressure is helpful in motivating ourselves; but they're not going to determine the way your entire life plans out! As long as you do your best, the outcome doesn't matter, and if you don't get the grades you hoped for just remember there are so many other options out there waiting for you!

On the flip side I see so many people that just don't care about exams and already think they don't matter. To those people I just want to say that yes, exams don't matter...but they DO open doors. Having qualifications can help you have more experiences throughout your life! Say you want to go to uni, but you don't care about your A Levels...how are you going to have that life changing experience of university if you don't quite get the grades to get you there? Of course, as I said before, it's not the end of the world, but being more highly qualified than the people you're going up against for THAT job can only help, right? Exams give you the best possible chance of doing the things you really want to do with your life, they can be a gateway to new experiences and open you up to an array of possibilities you had never imagined...all because you have a few qualifications. The exams you take don't matter, but they do open doors.


The idea for a post like this came when I was on my way back from sixth form and I was discussing exams with my dad; the whole sixth form had just had an assembly on exams, not stressing and how failure wasn't really failure (a teacher used the example of Steve Jobs being fired from Apple and going on to create Pixar)! My dad completely agreed and said 'exams don't matter, but they do open doors.' 
It got me thinking about the way there are three kinds of people when it comes to exams:

  •  The ones who stress beyond belief
  • The ones who either don't care or can't be bothered
  • And the ones who have a nice balance of the two


I now thankfully only have one written exam remaining (history paper 2) and two drama practical exams! I'm incredibly lucky that I only have 4 written exams in total, some of my friends have 9! I think they've all gone well so far, which I suppose puts me in an okay position while I await my results in August!

 Let me know how you're getting on with your exams, I wish you all the best of luck!
Oooo also let me know if you agreed/disagreed with me on any of the points I made in this post! 
I like to see other peoples' thoughts and opinions!

Until next time, Cheerio! 
xx

8 comments:

  1. Loved this positive outlook on exams. It's so true! You only need 5 gcse's to get anywhere and everyone worries about not passing in all 12!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try to be an eternal optimist! I just see so many people stressing unnecessarily when they don't actually need to (plus stress is not helpful when trying to study)! xx

      Delete
  2. Ahh great words. I am in the middle of my mid-terms week so this post came just in time, too! Thanks for the optimism and the little pick me up! xx

    <(') Hoda || JooJoo Azad ~ Free Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm glad it could help! Good luck with your exams, I'm sure you'll do fine! xx

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your exams dear, i see how difficult it is to cope with such a tight schedule.
    I wish I still was a student, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Aha, it's a pretty good deal being a student to be honest! xx

      Delete
  4. Great post, Jess! I totally agree with you on everything :)
    I'm just glad I'm done with all the exams and stuff! Hope you aced them all! :D
    Also, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! :)
    Hope you're having a gorgeous Monday!xx

    ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ Creme de la Chic ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou! Ah it must be such a relief to not have to worry about exams etc! ^_^ I thankfully only have one left now!
      It's okay, I must say I do rather enjoy reading your blog! ^_^
      Thanks, I hope your week is lovely!
      xx

      Delete