Pages

Tuesday 30 September 2014

'You're allowed to think you look good'

Source
Now, earlier today I was having a conversation with a good friend about compliments in which I said that I found them incredibly awkward. My reasoning for this is simple: if you say 'thank you' I feel as if it sounds like you're agreeing with the compliment you've been given; and if you disagree with the person it can sound as if you're fishing for further compliments and self-affirmation. Basically I feel as if compliments are just a black hole of social awkwardness waiting to suck you into their trap. 
My friend then said something that I almost couldn't quite understand...

'You're allowed to think you look good'


Woah, woah, woah. Hold on a second. You mean, I can actually think I look okay? Really? Are you sure? This got me thinking, are we actually allowed to think we look good? Are we allowed to appreciate ourselves and show other people that 'yeah, I think I look good today'? Because I'm not entirely sure...

There are so many ways, especially with social media, that people can show the world that they think they look good. Just see Instagram and Twitter and Facebook for selfies! The person has usually uploaded the selfie because they like the way they look in it and of course they want to share that with people because well, why not?

Lets just take a look at how society reacts to people who actively display that, hell yes, they love who they are and think they look pretty great, especially if they do it on a regular basis. People are called 'attention seeking,' 'full of themselves,' 'up their own arses,' 'arrogant,' 'shallow' and even 'narcissistic.' It's seen as a negative thing to love yourself and think you look good and I think it's time for a change. 

I constantly see people tweeting and blogging about how we need more body positivity and then see those same people judging those who openly show that they feel good! We're obsessed with putting people down in our society! Why shouldn't someone be able to think they look good? Why shouldn't someone be able to love their body and the way they look? Why do we teach and applaud self-loathing and judge those who have the confidence to say 'hell yes I look good today!'? 
I say go for it! Love yourself! Yes you're allowed to think you look good and for gods sake don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise!

I hope you enjoyed this post and hopefully got something out of it! 
I've been seeing a lot of negativity on the internet recently and I've realised how easy it is to let this negativity slip into every aspect of our lives! 

I'm also aware that I have been severely lacking in posts for about two months now! 
To be perfectly honest, I've been lacking the motivation and creativity...
I'm so glad a simple conversation has inspired to me blog again!

Do let me know your thoughts in the comments!
Let me know how you handle compliments and if you've had any good or bad experiences with body positivity!

Until next time, Cheerio!
xx

2 comments:

  1. This is so refreshing! You are absolutely right! Great post xx

    Katie xx

    http://okaykate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much! I think it's time for a bit more image positivity! xx

      Delete