Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

How to Survive Stress (Exams)

Edited from original source
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I've got work and exams and revision and coursework and friends and holidays and absolutely no way of getting everything done!!!!

Woah woah woah, let's stop right there.

Take a deep breath and...


Stress is something I'm pretty sure everyone feels at some point or another, whether it's exam pressure or friend issues or something else entirely! Different people become stressed by different things and it affects people in all kinds of ways. Some people become incredibly stressed and it takes over their entire life while others only get stressed a little bit! My point is that everyone gets stressed over different things and in different ways and it's all completely okay; but with exam season coming up for many of us (myself included, yikes!) I thought I'd share with you some of my tips for de-stressing!

1. Breathe!
Okay I know this sounds obvious but I mean really breathe; take a moment to just stop what you're doing and take a few deep breaths until you feel calm again. I find this really helps to clear your mind and focus your attention on what you need to do. When I get stressed I tend to stress over a particular thing (say revision or coursework) and this stressing basically stops me from being able to do anything productive. It's at that point that I just sit back and take a moment to breathe! It's simple enough really isn't it?

2. Distractions!
Believe it or not, it's good to do something other than focus on the reason you're stressing! Get out of the house, go and see friends, even just watch TV for half an hour. This might help take your mind of the reason you're stressing and you'll feel much better afterwards!

3. Time! 
Allow yourself a set amount of time to work in, don't spend an entire day focusing on revision! Let's be honest, it's boring and you probably won't remember half of it if you're doing it continually! Doing a few hours each day will probably be much more productive and you'll feel better because you haven't solidly worked for 8 hours (trust me 8 hours of revision is no fun, I gave it a go and almost died it was so much!)

4. Sleep! ZZZZzzzzzz.......
Make sure you get enough sleep, believe it or not you probably can't survive off 5 hours sleep! Sleep allows your body to recharge meaning you'll be more awake and able to deal with the problem causing you stress the next day. Before you go to bed make sure you haven't focused on the issue causing your stress. For example I'll stop doing revision at least an hour before going to bed so that my brain has time to unload all of the information I've been cramming it full of for the past few hours! If you keep doing the thing that's making you stressed right up until you get into bed, you probably won't sleep very well as your brain will still be focused on the issue! Your brain needs time to wind down and chill...just like the rest of your body does!

I hope this helped in some way!
Leave me a comment letting me know if you have any ways of de-stressing,
 or if any of these methods work for you!

Until next time, Cheerio!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment